Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Homemade Baguette

I'd never made a baguette before, this recipe was very simple with the use of my standing mixer.  And it was a big hit with my Crockpot Bacon Cheeseburger Chowder.

This recipe makes 2 loaves and was found from Sisters Cafe.
Ingredients:
-1 1/2 cups warm water {about 110 degrees; I just use warm from the tap}
-1 1/2 tbsp or 2 pkg. yeast
-2 tsp sugar
-3 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups flour
-2 tsp salt
-melted butter  {or olive oil, will be less crisp and less salty; so you may want to add a sprinkle of salt after brushing with oil}

Process:
1. In mixer bowl gently mix water, yeast and sugar.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
2. Add salt and flour {start with 3 1/4 cups flour} to yeast mixture.  Mix with dough hook or by hand for about 5 minutes.
This is what mine looked like after 5 minutes, so I added the extra 1/2 cup of flour.
Then, I mixed with the dough hook an additional 4-5 minutes and got this beautifully smooth dough.
3. Remove dough from bowl onto a floured or oiled surface {I prefer oiled}.
4. Cut dough in half and form each half into a long flat rectangle-like shape.
5. Roll the dough from the long side, pinch seam to seal.
6. Place seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.  I love my Silpats!
7. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  With a sharp knife {I used a serrated blade} gently make a cut down the length of each baguette, only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.  
{The cut isn't necessary, but gives it an authentic look.}
*Optional: Pour water into a cookie sheet and place on the bottom rack of the oven.  {I forgot this part, thats why its optional, oops!}

9. Bake bread for 8 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
11. Return to oven and bake another 8 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and brush with more melted butter.
 Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...