Monday, March 3, 2014

Beef & Hominy Casserole

Sorry, I didn't post last week!  I did a little slipping and sliding on the road and rolled over our small truck a couple Saturdays ago on my way home from a craft sale.  
Of course everything flew all over the field and had to be collected.  And thank goodness I am completely fine, I always wear my seat belt; I just had sore muscles for a few days.
I was driving at least 10 miles under the speed limit, but the road was super slippery!  And once the truck started sliding there was no stopping it.
Now on to the recipe post...

This is one of our favorite hearty recipes.  My husband swears to not like casseroles, but he never complains about this one.

The combo of ingredients is great and I always look forward to any leftovers.  Its great served with a side of cornbread, salsa, sour cream if you like and/or a nice fresh salad.

I found the original recipe in one of my Cooking Club magazines you can also find it online at their site here.  Enjoy, its a keeper!
Ingredients:
-1 lb. ground meat {I usually use ground beef}
-1/2 cup chopped onion {or about 1/4 cup minced, dried onion}
-1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper {really any color is great; I used a pint of my canned sweet peppers}
-2 (15.5 oz.) cans hominy, drained {you can use white or yellow or one of each; I usually buy the really huge can (the bulk one, the size of a big coffee can) and just weigh out about 30 oz. and freeze the rest for later use}
-14.5 oz. diced tomatoes {I used a pint of my canned crushed tomatoes}
-4 oz. chopped green chiles, optional {I use them if I have them, otherwise you could also substitute some diced jalapenos, fresh or canned}
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Process:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
3. Cook meat over medium-high heat until browned, drain and rinse.  If using fresh onion and pepper add meat, onion and pepper to pan and cook about 3 minutes.
4. Place hominy in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add meat mixture, {dried onion and both canned peppers, if using}, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
6. Mix thoroughly.
7. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.
8. Top with cheese {I used extra sharp cheddar and just used a knife to crumble it since it can be a bit tough to slice or shred, because its to crumbly}.
 9. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
 Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...