Thursday, June 27, 2013

Double Crusted Rhubarb Triple Berry Crisp

This is a super, duper tasty crisp recipe!  

I couldn't tell you where I found this one, but one thing I really like about it is the double crust.

I used my Homemade Rhubarb Triple Berry Pie Filling; you could probably use any pie filling or go by the original recipe for Cherry Rhubarb Crisp {listed below, which I will be trying in the near future}.

Ingredients for Crust:
-1 cup quick cooking oatmeal {I actually used old fashioned oatmeal, that's what I always have}
-1 cup brown sugar, packed
-1 cup flour {wheat or other flour would work fine too}
-1/2 cup butter, melted
-pinch of salt

Ingredients for Original Recipe's Filling:  {I used my Homemade Rhubarb Triple Berry Pie Filling}
-4 cups rhubarb, diced
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup water
-2 tbsp cornstarch
-1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
-1 can cherry pie filling
-1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped, optional

Process:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, butter and salt.  Mix well.
3. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a large pie dish or any dish larger up to a 9 x 13 inch pan {the pie dish will give you a thick crust and the 9 x 13 inch pan will give you a thinner crust}.
4. For my Rhubarb Triple Berry Filling I just had to pour in the already prepared pie filling.
*Process for original recipe's filling: 
a. Spread the rhubarb over the bottom crust.
b. Combine sugar, water and cornstarch in a saucepan; boil until thickened.
c. Stir in almond or vanilla extract and cherry pie filling.
d. Spoon mixture over rhubarb.

5. Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top of the pie filling.  Next, sprinkle with nuts if using.
6. Place crisp on a foil lined baking sheet, in case of a boil over.  {I was surprised mine didn't end up boiling over, but if I didn't do this I'm sure it would have been all over the bottom of my oven!}
7. Bake crisp for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
This crisp would be great with fresh whipped cream {or Cool Whip} or vanilla ice cream.  But its also very good on its own!  Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...