Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie

This apple pie is fantastic!  And its a plus that you don't have to peel the apples!
I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I've had it and been making it for years.  Enjoy!
Ingredients for Pie:
-single pie crust
-1/2 cup sugar
-3 tbsp flour
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/8 tsp salt
-6 cups thinly sliced apples (about 7 apples)

Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup flour
-1/2 cup oatmeal
-1/2 cup butter, melted

Topping:
-1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping

Process:
1. Prepare pie crust as directed on package or make your own {this one is awesome!}.

I had a broken pre-made pie crust in the freezer and instead of throwing it out I decided to try to fix it...
I mixed 4 tbsp melted butter with about 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup sugar.
I mixed this until the crumbs were coated.
Poured the crumbs into the broken pie crust.
Then, pressed the crumbs into the pie shell to form a second layer of crust.
2. Wash and slice apples.
3. Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt to apple slices.
4. Toss to coat apples thoroughly.
5. Pour apples into pie crust.
 They will be mounded, but they'll settle as they cook.
6. Mix together the crumb topping ingredients.
7. Place pie on a lined baking sheet.
8. Crumble the crumb topping over the apples, it will be like a apple and crumb mountain!
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes, until browned and crispy.
Half way through baking.
10. Remove pie from oven and drizzle with caramel sauce.
11. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
 The caramel will soak into the crumb topping as it cools.
12. Enjoy on its own or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...